- Check with your company big dogs and pack members for pre-approval, and to see if anyone is allergic, afraid of, or opposed to you bringing your dog to work for this one special day.
- Pet-proof your work space: hide electrical cords & wires and secure toxic items such as correction fluid, permanent markers, etc.
- Dress to impress: bathe and groom your dog before its office debut.
(In Phoenix, Villa La PAWS is offering a special deal just for this occassion; call them at 602-442-7833 or 602-588-7833)
- Bright eyed and bushy tailed: Be sure your dog's shots are up-to-date. If he or she appears under the weather, it's time for one of those handy dandy sick days! (Hmmm... maybe you want to follow suit?!)
- Canine Cumbaya: Dogs that are aggressive or overly shy should not accompany you to work. Instead, consider bringing a favorite picture of your pooch.
- Pack a doggie bag: include food, treats, bowls, toys, leash, paper towels, clean-up bags and pet-safe disinfectant (just in case). A portable kennel will provide your dog with privacy, comfort and your peace of mind.
- Is it lunch time yet? Plan your pet’s feeding times carefully.
- Third bush to the left: be sure to choose an appropriate area for your dog to relieve himself afterward.
- No K-9 kidding... not everybody flips for fur! Don't force co-workers to interact with your dog.
- Bye-bye bow-wow... have an early exit strategy just in case things don't work out as planned.
For additional information about "Take Your Dog To Work" Day, visit the official website http://www.takeyourdog.com/ or shoot me an e-mail. And I'd love to hear from those two leggeds AND four leggeds across the country who do participate.